Coeur d'Alene Murder Defense Attorneys
Facing Murder Charges in Coeur d'Alene, ID?
Murder is the most serious charge that can be brought against an individual in Idaho. If you have been accused of murder, it is critical that you contact a Coeur d'Alene murder defense attorney. At Walsh & Lewis PLLC, our murder defense attorneys are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions and help you protect your rights. We understand that a murder charge is a life-changing event, regardless of whether you are the actual perpetrator or not. We can help you understand the charges against you and the legal options available to help you fight the charges.
What is Murder in Idaho?
Under Idaho law, murder is defined as the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought. Malice aforethought is defined as the intention to cause death or great bodily harm to the victim before the act that caused death or great bodily harm occurred. Murder can be charged as either first-degree murder or second-degree murder, depending on the circumstances of the case.
This type of murder occurs when the defendant intends to kill the victim or intends to cause the death of the victim while committing a dangerous felony. The most common difference between first-degree and second-degree murder is that the former must involve "premeditation," which entails some form of planning to commit the offense beforehand.
A person can also be charged with first-degree murder if the victim is a public official, a child younger than 12 years old, or if the crime occurred during the commission of another felony offense. First-degree murder is punishable by life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Murder committed in the heat of the moment or any other type of murder not classified as first-degree is considered second-degree murder. This offense is punishable by life in prison with the possibility of parole.
How Can a Murder Defense Attorney Help Me?
A murder defense attorney plays a crucial role in representing individuals who are accused of committing murder or manslaughter. Here are some ways a murder defense attorney can help you:
- Legal Advice and Guidance: A murder defense attorney can provide you with a clear understanding of the charges against you, the legal process, and potential consequences. They can explain the elements of the crime and the laws relevant to your case.
- Investigation: Attorneys often work with investigators to gather evidence that may support your defense. This can involve interviewing witnesses, examining crime scenes, and analyzing forensic evidence.
- Building a Strong Defense: Based on the evidence and circumstances surrounding the case, your attorney will develop a defense strategy tailored to your situation. This may involve challenging the prosecution's evidence, questioning witness credibility, or presenting an alternative narrative.
- Legal Motions: Attorneys can file various legal motions on your behalf, such as motions to suppress evidence that was obtained unlawfully or motions to dismiss charges if there are legal grounds for doing so.
- Negotiating Plea Deals: In some cases, a defense attorney may negotiate with the prosecution to secure a plea deal that reduces the charges or penalties. This can be a strategic decision based on the strength of the evidence and potential risks associated with going to trial.
- Trial Representation: If your case goes to trial, your attorney will represent you in court. This includes presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and making legal arguments to support your defense.
- Understanding Legal Procedures: Navigating the legal system can be complex and confusing. Your attorney will guide you through the process, ensuring that you understand your rights, the charges against you, and the potential outcomes.
- Appellate Representation: If you are convicted and decide to appeal, your defense attorney can continue to represent you during the appellate process, seeking to overturn or reduce the conviction.
It's important to note that the effectiveness of a murder defense attorney depends on various factors, including the strength of the evidence, the legal complexities of the case, and the attorney's experience and skill. If you are facing such serious charges, it's crucial to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Ready to Defend You Against Murder Charges in Idaho
If you or someone you love has been accused of murder, you need the help of an experienced murder defense attorney. At Walsh & Lewis PLLC, our murder defense attorneys have years of experience successfully defending clients against murder charges. We understand that a murder charge is a life-changing event, regardless of whether you are the actual perpetrator or not. We can help you understand the charges against you and the legal options available to help you fight the charges.
"I have absolutely no doubt that if my experience with Sean was more, that I could speak to even greater lengths to both just how exceptional an attorney he is as well an individual."Jesse
"I'm so grateful for the people in this office. In the worst time of my life, everyone was kind, knowledgeable, and understanding."Zachary
"Alexandria is upfront and honest about everything and the passion she has towards her clients is absolutely amazing!"Tabetha
"Alexandria was caring, honest, always followed up, very professional, and extremely knowledgeable. Family law can be very difficult to navigate through and she was patient with me as I weighed all the options."Rachael
"Sean not only used his knowledge of the law but he articulated it in a way that was perfect! If I could afford to have a lawyer on retainer it would be him!"Anthony